Wednesday 22 June 2016

BSOD or Blue Screen Of Death

BSOD or Blue Screen Of Death is a very Fatal Bad Error. They are different for Windows 95,98,ME and for Windows NT 4.0, 2000,XP,Vista,7 and also different for Windows 8,8.1 and 10.
Everyone who wants to make fun of windows go for it but whatever you do don't be one of the fools that laughs at BSOD's. Every time I see someone speak about a BSOD to insult windows and totally forgets about kernel panics in Linux, I die a little inside.
It's the same thing, except the bsod has a better interface for the error vs kernel panics.
Poor device drivers causes BSOD in Windows NT 4.0 ,2000, XP, Vista, 7 ,etc.
While BSODs can be due to software problems for the best of the rarest cases, it is the hardware problem in maximum cases. I had suffered BSODs in my laptop from July 2011, while attempting to install Windows XP from a CD with no generic SATA drivers and no option to disable the native SATA mode in BIOS because laptop BIOS settings are not customizable. I had to wait for about 2-3 years to get an XP CD with generic SATA drivers. I also had got BSOD in the same laptop while running VMWare with 3GB RAM allocated to it while my System had 4GB RAM, which I upgraded to 8GB now.
But till date my laptop is running fine for more than 4 years without any hardware issues.
I had also suffered BSODs in my Desktop from June 2001, yes more than 14 years old it was preloaded with Windows 98 and later dual booted with Windows XP. It had only 64MB RAM, and 866MHz Pentium III processor (whose clock speed is maximum 1.4GHz). A year before, I suffered BSOD while installing XP. I checked everything everywhere. I had 320MB RAM (256MB and 64MB). I checked renowned websites such as tomshardware and many more and finally I checked the RAM modules individuallly with Memtest CD and Windows Memory Diagnostic tool (available in Windows Vista, 7 and above) and found a lot of errors. I removed the 256MB module and rechecked and there were no errors. Finally, I could install XP, but XP is not good to run with 64MB RAM. So, I upgraded the RAM to 512MB (2x256MB) or sometimes I use 256MB (2x128MB) in case the 256MB RAM modules die out.
I also suffered BSODs several monthes after and discovered that the errors would be gone if I swap the hard drive PATA cables. So, I purchased a new PATA cable and now my Desktop is fine and healthy.



No comments:

Post a Comment