Monday 20 June 2016

The need of optical drives in Computers.

   I was discussing an issue related to laptops which were shipped without an optical drive. This person is my cousin who purchased a Macbook recently for a huge price approx.  and that too for an offer, 1,17,000 INR

Me: I own 2 memory cards of 16gb, 4 of 8gb, 1 of 4gb, and 2 pen drives of 8gb, as well as an external hard drive of size 500GB. Also I have 640GB HDD space in my laptop, and 120GB in my Desktop. But still I use DVDs and CDs for data backup. Why?
  Because they store data permanently, except CD-RW and DVD-RW discs. I also have the habit of collecting lot of PC games, softwares, operating systems and movies which I keep in my CDs and DVDs. CDs and DVDs are inexpensive and I have 6 CD bags. Also, still most of the softwares and movies are distributed in CDs and DVDs so people who dont have good Internet speed will still be using CDs and DVDs

Cousin: Unfortunately my new computer lacks a DVD drive and it is regarded as one of the finest in industry. However compromising functionality (lack of a DVD Drive, lack of a LAN port) for sake of beauty is something I really frown upon. The Mac also provides Thunderbolt ports that are much faster than USB ports.

Me: So what. That's not the problem. U can use an external USB DVD drive.

Cousin: After buying Mac laptop computer with such a high price if an external hard drive, CPU, USB, DVD-Drive, SMPS and even RAM has to be attached to it, then ultimately what did the Apple manufacture for such a huge price?

Me: Your Macbook is finest no doubt. Many notebooks don't come with optical drives but I see no problems if an external USB optical drive does the job.
   Finally optical drives are for those who dont have faster web connection and enough budget to purchase external usb hard drives.   Also in the past my desktop contained a floppy drive no optical drive now a drive has been attached. External blu ray DVD drives are still being sold and the sale has increased and is popular among the notebook users who don't have an optical drive. So it is not at all an issue. If all computers had internal optical drives what would be the purpose of an external optical drive?


Finally when both my cousin and I were together in a vacation, then I attached my LG DVD-RW drive on his Macbook Pro, it worked fine.The price external DVD writers are Rs.1400-Rs.4000 and the price of the external Blu-ray DVD writers range from Rs.4000-Rs.15000. 
External Blu-Ray DVD Writer
External LG DVD Writer (normal laser)
A sample Macbook Pro

No comments:

Post a Comment